Friday, March 7, 2008

Human Trafficking

CAUTION: What you are about to read may cause discomfort, anger, despair and even rage. Proceed with caution, should you continue to read, you just might be called to action. You may no longer claim ignorance, this is real, this is true.

This is a little-known topic that is exploding into the mainstream and becoming very well known, as of late.
It's something I'm really struggling with.

What is Human Trafficking?

"Trafficking in persons is modern-day slavery, involving victims who are forced, defrauded or coerced into labor or sexual exploitation. Annually, about 600,000 to 800,000 people -- mostly women and children -- are trafficked across national borders which does not count millions trafficked within their own countries.

People are snared into trafficking by many means. In some cases, physical force is used. In other cases, false promises are made regarding job opportunities or marriages in foreign countries to entrap victims."

Another perspective on this: remember the slave trade, all of the slaves from Africa that America and Europe stole and bought as property? THIS IS THE SAME THING. Slavery never really ended, it just went into hiding. It's not hidden anymore.

I first heard about this about a year and a half ago, and did nothing about it. Well, that isn't entirely true. I spent two weeks in Thailand (where this is a HUGE problem) working with former and current prostitutes, inviting them to and teaching at an english school, which, if they wanted, would also help them learn other trades and jobs to make a living on.

More and more lately I find myself hearing and seeing about what is going on in my world, about how little children are stolen from their families and forced into brothels, how women are tricked into coming to the "land of the free" for new opportunities, and never catch even a glimpse of the freedom we are so known for. And yet I feel almost nothing. I don't cry, i don't weep, i don't feel an all-consuming rage for a call to justice to be heard.
My heart hasn't been broken for this, not nearly enough. I understand that tears don't equate a change of heart, and that I don't have to always be emotional to be affected, but I've watched the videos, I've read the statistics, I've heard the stories, and yet I stand still, unaffected in my own little world of comfort. For a while, I thought that I wasn't more involved with this because I wasn't letting myself, I wasn't letting God have His way and change me, call me to action. I was afraid of what it might mean. I am not afraid anymore. Every single person has a role to play in seeing this come to an end, finally, and I am ready to step it up and play my part.
Jesus, I KNOW that your heart is broken over this whole thing, break my heart, please invade my soul and align it with yours! What is my role in this, how do you want to use me to further your kingdom of light and love, and to accomplish the seemingly impossible and help to put a STOP to this?
We all have a role to play. By my discovery of this, I can no longer claim ignorance, and I will be accountable to God in heaven for what I've done with it. How I long to please you Lord! Show me my role, help me to be a person of peace, love, and light, to a world that is so dark and deceived.

This issue is so tantamount, and can seem so overwhelming and frustrating, where do I start, where do I begin? "Many people don't do anything because they can't do everything , just do your part for God, and let Him take care of the rest." (Dan Baumann quote) Please do not end this on a note of depression or despair, for there is hope. There are many many people doing many many things to bring awareness and justice. Below are a bunch of resources that have helped me in my quest to educate myself and figure out the part I play...which I'm still working on. I'll let you know when I've figured it out.
The best resource we have is Jesus, for when we pray on behalf of the trafficked people, and for the organizations to further their freedom, when we plead and command heaven to come to earth and for evil to flee, He answers. He ALWAYS has a response to our prayers, and part of the journey of life is discovering how He is speaking to us, learning how to listen. We are on the winning side, we just need to recognize and move in that mentality. (Wow, God answering my prayer as I type!)

Organizations: International Justice Mission, Not For Sale, Amnesty International, Maiti Nepal

Websites: ijm.org, notforsalecampaign.org, humantrafficking.org

Movies: Trade, Human Trafficking, Born Into Brothels

Books: Not For Sale, Good News About Injustice

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving us websites , movies and books. Yes, we can all do something and we must.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to add you to my blogroll. I can't wait to talk to you more about all this stuff this summer.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to add you to my blogroll. I can't wait to talk to you more about all this stuff this summer.